Ideas & inspiration

Poisonous plants in the garden - children at risk


Children quickly put something in their mouths or smell trees and bushes. If these plants are poisonous, it can be dangerous.

When walking through the garden center or leafing through various garden catalogs, plants are often only selected according to color and height of growth. However, this can be quite dangerous, especially if there are children in the garden. There are a number of crops that are poisonous or hazardous to health, but which you cannot see from the outside. So that nothing can happen here, here are the most important poisonous plants that you shouldn't have or should only have with extreme caution in the garden.

Ivy - the poison is in the fruit

Ivy (Hedera helix) is a climbing shrub that can reach a height of 20 meters. For this reason, the plant is often used to green bare walls or as a privacy screen. The dangerous thing about ivy is the fruit. Toxic saponins “hide” in the flesh of the berry. The first signs of poisoning appear when only a few berries are consumed. But the leaves of the tendril are also not completely harmless, they can trigger a rash.

Laburnum - all parts of the plant are poisonous

The laburnum looks beautiful when it blooms, you just shouldn't get too close. Almost all parts of the plant are poisonous, but the worst part is the seed. The consumption causes nausea, vomiting, burning in the mouth, abdominal cramps and more. Gold rain therefore has no place in the home garden.

Holly - only slightly toxic

Even if it sounds harmless at first, the holly (Ilex aquifolium) is not without danger. Those who eat the berry-like fruits must expect gastrointestinal problems, diarrhea and vomiting. It is recommended to drink plenty of water after consumption. If children have eaten the tempting red fruits, you should go to the doctor immediately.

Deadly cherries - life-threatening for children

Children should be made aware of the dangers of belladonna (Atropa belladonna) from an early age. Since the fruits of the deadly cherry are very similar to those of the “real cherry”, they quickly tempt you to snack. The first signs of poisoning after eating the berries are dilated pupils, reddened skin, increased pulse, speech and swallowing disorders, dryness in the mouth and throat. Just three consumed berries are enough and the child is in mortal danger!

Pfaffenhütchen - poisoning not immediately recognizable

The Pfaffenhütchen is a spindle shrub that can grow up to 4 meters high. The Pfaffenhütchen produces white-green flowers from May to June. The tricky thing about the Pfaffenhütchen is that symptoms of intoxication only show up several hours after consumption. These can be circulatory disorders, abdominal cramps and nausea. If poisoning is suspected, it is best to see a doctor immediately.