Tips & Tricks

Detect sick plants when you buy them


Plants are not exactly cheap. All the more annoying when you have to dispose of a plant you have just acquired after a few days or weeks.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what can happen if you don't take a closer look at the purchase. If you take a sick plant home with you, you won't be able to enjoy it for long, have thrown out a few euros through the window and, above all, there is a risk that other plants will become infected. To avoid this, you should take the time to buy the plants and, above all, take a close look.

Plants infected by aphids

Aphids are quite common. If you want to buy a plant, just turn the pot several times and take a close look. You can recognize the aphids by their green, brown or black color. Aphids sit on the stems and also on the leaves. Feel free to wipe the leaves with your fingers. You can also recognize aphids by this, because then it feels sticky.

Sick plants from mildew

Powdery mildew is an extremely common plant disease, which you can recognize by the white to gray coating. The shoots are partially mutilated and leaves fall out. Powdery mildew is found in mold, but there are two types:

➩ powdery mildew

  • is on the top of the sheet
  • recognizable by a whitish color
  • removes nutrients from the plant
  • the leaves wither and fall off

➩ downy mildew

  • is located on the underside of the sheet
  • recognizable by a gray covering
  • removes nutrients from the plant
  • the leaves turn yellow and fall off

Sick plants due to rose rust

As the name suggests, only roses are affected by the rose rust. The disease is fairly well recognized, as yellow-orange to rust-red spots form on the top of the leaf. The rose rust is also a fungal disease. The more the mushroom can sprout, the more dangerous for the plant. A little wind is enough and the spores are spread over all the surrounding leaves.

Plants affected by gray mold

Gray mold is also a plant disease that you can clearly see in the shop. The mushroom covers the leaves with a gray, felt-like covering. But the stems and stems of the plant can also be affected. If the plant itself is already weakened, the gray mold has an easy job. Plants that show the slightest trace of gray mold should never be taken home.